Pages

7/30/09

Authentic Unheroic Leadership - Week 3

How has what you've learned so far in this course shaped your concept of an effective leader?
Over the past several weeks I have learned a wealth of valuable information about authentic administrative leadership. It is amazing to me that I was thinking many of the concepts mentioned in Burrello and Fullan. The passages about trust, honesty and integrity really hit home with me. I have always taken integrity seriously in every aspect of my life. Without integrity and honesty, you may lead a personally unfulfilled life. A person may go far professionally, but continue to search for something to fill the void where the lack of honesty and integrity has left the gap. People that lack both qualities, lead with ego not core beliefs. I have encountered many of these types of administrators that are not effective and normally face staff resistance and low staff and student morale. Administration that does not see the value in community involvement and others knowledge, skills and wisdom, risk constant conflict and resentment. If value is only placed on one's own ideas and initiatives, schools change or reform will most often not occur quickly or at all. In order to breed trust, honesty, respect, and loyalty, one must practice display and model these qualities as well. As a teacher, I have always communicated with students my relationship philosophy, "you get what you give" and this is a philosophy that I truly believe in and live by. If you give respect and practice honesty, integrity and loyalty, you will get in return. Authentic leaders, lead by example and use the unheroic skills to build a highly motivated transformative school community. Reculturing takes more than just a shared vision but a shared set of personal core qualities and beliefs.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Great blog. I love that, "you get what you give" isn't that true in anything? If you do not give your all to your marriage, you do not get someone else's all back. Same goes for your profession, children, etc.