Pages

12/18/08

Mixbook!!

So I just got off the phone with Mixbook's CEO, Andrew Lafoon and realized what a great little company it is. First of all let me just tell you that Mixbook.com is one of the best sites around for building online ebooks. They also offer a printed version of the books that you create. Well the reason for the call was in regards to an email that I sent concerning their user agreement. It clearly states that you have to be 13 years old to use the site, but that just didn't seem fair so I took it upon myself to write to them. I got an email back that very next day asking to share more information about what we "teachers" would need to make is so that kids younger than 13 could use the site. I recommended that they put a clause in their user agreement if under 13 must be under the supervision of an adult. Then teachers teachers using the tool with younger students would be protected and in compliance with the license agreement. Andrew and his associate were very open to the suggestion and said that it would soon be updated and would let me know when. They also asked how to make the tool better for teachers.... they didn't know what they had just done.... opening that can of worms. I asked if they could add audio and video capabilities to the site, recommended that they allow for pdf print outs and even suggested a coloring book mode to print. Other than that, I told them that Mixbook is an awesome tool for getting kids interested in writing and producing some incredible interactive written ebooks. You have to check this site out. Kids and you will love it! As for the guys at Mixbook, I thank you for your time and consideration in making your site and tool better for teachers and students. It was a pleasure working with you! Hope to see you at NECC and PETE&C.

No comments: